Several years ago, I had sinus surgery. I have suffered from sinus issues and infections my whole life (just like Migraines). After many sinus infections, this year I decided to look for more answers on why I’m still suffering so much from allergies.
The first doctor I went to I had seen as a child with the same issues. He dismissed me after speaking at length because I was “too knowledgeable” about my migraines and triggers stating that allergy testing wouldn’t teach me anything.
I wasn’t surprised, so I moved on to an immunologist that a friend and fellow migraine sufferer had suggested. He stated that allergy sufferers are 33% more likely to suffer from frequent migraines and he was incredibly interested in helping. I was pricked with lots of allergens and waited in his office wanting to scratch my arm off.
Once the results came in I received a lot of feedback that I found helpful.
1. Food allergy- I found out that I was allergic to corn. For those of you that don’t know, corn is in EVERYTHING processed. I asked “how allergic” I was and how careful I needed to be. As always, it depends and he suggested to experiment with foods and how I felt. This was an “ah ha moment” for me being I feel sick 95% of the time I eat. I have never known why but corn is a good clue.
2. Indoor allergies- I found out I’m allergic to dust and mold. I like to think I keep a clean house but with a Golden Retriever, 2 small children and a busy life, a dust free home is not possible (is it for anyone?).
3. Nasal allergies- This year I have suffered from endless sinus infections. My doctor told me that I had not been receiving the correct treatment. I had been going to a “Minute Clinic” when I had a sinus infection and couldn’t stand it anymore. The medication that was given was, according to my doctor, was not strong enough or for a long enough time to rid the sinusitis. Therefore, my sinus infections just kept cycling because they were never really gone.
Going forward the things I am implementing are:
1. Reading food labels more carefully. Looking at them, it seems corn is in everything so I’m trying to eliminate foods that have it as the first 5 ingredients listed.
2. I got allergy pillow cases, mattress cover and installed a new air filter in my house.
3. I took the medication to rid me of my sinusitis and now have preventative medication to take at night to hopefully help with the migraines I am waking with each morning.
4. I now have an appointment for my son to be allergy tested for his chronic breathing and upper respiratory issues. He is currently on preventative medication and breathing treatments.
5. After playing outside, we are showering my son and changing his clothes before nap and playing in the house. We were told that the allergens stick to his hair therefore leaving the allergens around the house. We have always washed hands upon entering, don’t wear shoes in the house, vacuum a lot and dust.
1. I will now be going to my immunologist for my sinus infections.
2. I will be learning more from my son’s allergy testing and be able to accommodate both better once the results are back.
3. I will be posting a review of my new air filter
Do you suffer from allergies and migraines? What are you allergic to and how do you treat them? The more ideas to live preventatively the better!