Only a few days left…..
I have been nominated for WEGO Health Awards. “The WEGO Health Awards program was created to recognize and honor those making a difference in the online health community. It provides the opportunity for community members to thank and support the Patient Leaders and patient-centric initiatives they admire.”
I need your help to endorse my nominations. I’ve been nominated for
Please go to this link and click the orange thumbs up “endorse My Migraine Life” below my picture. You can endorse each category.
I work so hard year round to advocate and increase migraine awareness. Your endorsement is your way of participating and inspiring my efforts.
Don’t forget to share your endorsement on social media to encourage your followers to do the same.
I am excited to announce that I have been nominated for the 2018 WEGO Health Awards!!!!!!! I have been nominated for “best kept secret” “best in show Instagram” “best in show community” and “best in show facebook” WOW!!!!!!!!
WEGO Health is a mission-driven company connecting healthcare with the experience, skills, and insights of patient leaders. They are the world’s largest network of patient leaders, working across virtually all health conditions and topics.
The WEGO Health Awards were created to celebrate those who tirelessly support the mission of WEGO Health: to empower the patient voice. With 16 award categories, the WEGO Health Awards are the only awards across all conditions and platforms, that recognize the over 100 thousand inspiring Patient Leaders who raise awareness, share information, and support their communities – but often without recognition.
It is a huge honor to be part of such a great group of nominees! Thank you SO much for your nominations! Now, I need your help…..
I’m looking to my incredibly supportive network to help endorse me for these awards. It is easy to endorse and only take seconds of your time!
Click here to be taken to my WEGO Health Awards profile where you can click “Endorse” under my nominee photo (thumbs up!)
If I have ever supported you, made you laugh, or inspired you to keep fighting – please consider endorsing me for this award.
This morning I woke up with a migraine. I wake up with a migraine EVERY morning. I went to bed last night with a migraine because I go to bed EVERY night with migraine. I stumbled downstairs to get my coffee on this rainy morning hoping that my pain would lessen and shakes would dissipate so I could drive my kids to swim lessons. After swim lessons, I face over 30 shots at my neurologists office just so I can wake up tomorrow to be able to go to the grocery store. It’s not a glamorous life.
When I opened my social media, I saw this…….”All the pretty people on Instagram are doing the migraine pose.” They have since changed it to “headache pose” in their title but the content still exists.
During Migraine Awareness Month, THIS is the reason we all need to advocate. I scrolled through the article and was shocked to see the popular models Gigi and Bella Hadid and Kylie and Kendall Jenner. Why am I surprised?
- Over my last vacation I read Believe Me by Yolanda Hadid. Yolanda is the mother of Gigi and Bella and wrote a book about her arduous journey with Lyme disease. Bella and her brother also discovered that they also have Lyme. The book was honestly written about the life of an invisible illness sufferer and the long, winding, painful, expensive, loss filled road. I plan on writing a review of the book and all of the impactful things that I related to as a migraine sufferer.
- Now, here stands her 2 daughters who fight by her side for Lyme Disease totally degrading and glamouring MY invisible illness. All the pretty people are doing it…..””Migraine Pose,” coined by makeup artist Nam Vo, involves posing with one or two hands pulling your face up by your temples as if you had a, well, migraine.” Where’s the “Lyme pose”? Migraine is not beautiful, it’s a neurological disease!
- Kendall and Kylie Jenner are not known for their responsible modeling choices. They seems to be ok with offending people to make a dollar but their own sister Kloe has often been heard to speak of her migraine. Once again, even family is insensitive to the extreme nature of this debilitating disease.
During Migraine Awareness Month (#MHAM) so many of us are striving to make the face of migraine seen. Elle magazine is NOT showing the face of migraine. When I get a migraine above level 7, I throw up violently, loose speech and cognition, loose ability to walk and often crawl to the bathroom. I can’t read, drive, be in light, have sound in my presence, experience muscle spasms, have sensitivity to touch and pass out from the head pain. THAT is what migraine looks like. Not a pretty model “showing off her manicure.”
I saw that migraine is trending in ALL the wrong reasons!
Here are a few examples of my migraine pose….(In reality my level 10s will never be photographed because they put me in grave danger.)
Did you ever notice how pets sense pain? Humans blatantly disregard each other while no explanations need to be made to a dog. I’m not showing off my manicure or pulling my face taught towards the light to look beautiful. I’m surviving. I’m using my best friend and therapy as a way to fight the pain.
But for some reason THIS isn’t trending. I wonder why? Pain isn’t pretty and shouldn’t be portrayed as a glamorous way to live.
Comment below with your migraine pose and share this. THIS is what should be tending! SHARE that migraine is not beautiful.
Tomorrow is Migraine Solidarity Day, June 21st.
“Shades For Migraine is a campaign to promote migraine awareness and create a viral buzz for a disease that affects over 1 billion people worldwide….
To participate, people will wear their sunglasses where they normally wouldn’t on Migraine Solidarity Day, June 21, even indoors when possible! They prove it by posting photos on social media with the hashtag #ShadesForMigraine. “
My Migraine Life is a proud participating blog and I hope you participate this year!
Watch for advocates outside the Today Show!
Here are some examples:
On left: I am wearing my Axon Optics indoor glasses. I was working in the office with a skylight and needed protection from the computer glare and sunlight. Check out my affiliate link to learn more
On right: I am wearing my Theraspecs indoor glasses and headed to a wedding.
For me, anytime is a good time to wear my #shadesformigraine
Any one can participate. Last year, my best and favorite support jumped in on the fun. She is missed every second of My Migraine Life. Her support was priceless!
I recently got a flashback of one of my first posts ever. It was super exciting to see how far I’ve come and how I’m meeting my goals from 4 years ago. This post explains how I want to help children and be part of a charity that raises funds for migraine and lowers stigma.
I’m proud to say I’ve found it and I AM saying “Wow, look how far we’ve come.” If you see me post about Miles for Migraine it’s because I feel strongly that it is making a financial and community difference.
After the 2 races we participated in, Team My Migraine Life raised $2,192.91.
I was asked to give my patient perspective at both races. I also donated 9 inches of my hair between this time! We raised funds, raised awareness and lowered stigma for migraine. My children were at both events to hear me speak and are not only learning about their mom at each event but how it affects so many others! We will be the ones to make change and we will be the ones to pave the way for a less painful stigmatized future. I’m so proud!
Check out a post I wrote in the first week ever of blogging…..
Happy June! Today marks the first day of Migraine Awareness Month!!!
I know a lot of you are thinking, “But how can I help?” This month I will be sharing information and advocacy opportunities from a variety of migraine organizations that I am involved with and follow. I can’t wait for you to get involved also.
The simplest way to participate is sharing information, following on all social media and virtually “making some noise.” Share with your followers how you suffer, important information and help break down the stigma.
To start the month out, I’d like to ask for your donation and participation with an organization that you’ve heard me talk about…..Miles for Migraine.
Miles for Migraine vision is ” to create some “big noise” in the migraine community and raise awareness that migraine and headache disorders are more than “a headache”. We are making great strides by growing our signature event, the Miles for Migraine 2-Mile walk, 5K/10K run; and by expanding our newer programs – a day camp for adolescents who have chronic migraine, and our adult seminar series”
On June 10, the Cincinnati walk/run will be at Otto Armleder Memorial Park
How can you participate?
There are a few ways to support:
- Join My Migraine Life Team. If you live close enough to walk/run, please join my team! I’d love to see you there. Go here and join team
- If you’d like to donate and support my fundraising efforts but won’t be able to make the walk, go here and donate
- If you are unable to walk/run but want to participate.
- If you are local and want to participate but are unable to walk/run we’d love for you to come anyways! Join my team and come to meet all the wonderful advocates and migraine supporters. There will be a quiet tent to rest and you are not obligated to walk. Your donation and presence is much appreciated! We are all doing what we can do and any effort are spoons well spent.
- If you don’t live locally but would like to support. Please donate to my page and participate virtually. You can walk and raise money without being at an event. Join the team and ask others to help raise funds.
- Ask a friend, co worker or loved one to help you raise money. You’ll be surprised at how many are affected by migraine and are happy to help make a difference.
- If you want to donate but don’t have the funds. I totally get it. Between the price of medications and therapies and difficulty with keeping a job, it can be even harder to donate. Remember that $10 makes a difference. Each dollar goes a long way and any donation takes us a step closer to helping many!
- If none of these are an option, please share this post. Sharing is caring and if you can’t support maybe a friend can. It’s all about not being alone and spreading a message. Everyone can share!
Please consider donating to My Migraine Life team and my personal fundraiser page. Follow along on all social media and share, share, share this month. Teaching your audience/social media followers how strong you are to be fighting migraine for yourself or for others will go really far.
Please join us on June 10, 2018 for the inaugural Cincinnati Walk/Run
Date/Time: Sunday June 10, 2018 8:30 AM
Location: Otto Armleder Memorial Park
Distance: 2 Mile Walk / 5K Run / 10k Run
“Miles for Migraine is a registered 501(c)(3) Non-Profit with the mission of improving the lives of migraine patients and their families, raising public awareness about headache disorders, and helping find a cure for migraine. Miles for Migraine produces fun walk/run events, typically 2 mile walk and 5k and 10k race to raise money for migraine research. We also host youth camps for kids and teens impacted by migraine or other headache disorders.”
This years Cleveland’s race was such a success and I hope to make Cincinnati’s inaugural walk/run the same. Here’s some highlights:
To sign up to the Cincinnati walk/run please follow these directions:
If you are donating: click on “donate to participant” on left side bar
Look up name: Sarah Rathsack and donate to my page 🙂
If you are registering: “view teams” on left side bar
Join team My Migraine Life
If you donate or register, in general, I will not get credit for my referral. Miles for Migraine tracks their top fundraisers and referrals. Please donate to my page or join team My Migraine Life to give our great community a voice and show how united My Migraine Lifers can be. Whether it’s for you, a family member, a friend or co workers. You are fighting and walking to make a difference. Your support is so appreciated!!!!!!
*Please notify me if you have donated or joined our team! I would like to thank you personally and know that your donation has gone to my page and team. I really am grateful for your consideration!!!